The BMHS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and study of Old Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania with an emphasis on Southwestern Pennsylvania families.
Membership is open to all who share these interests. Since our inception in 1993 our number has grown rapidly with members reaching as far as Australia. Our offices are located approximately three miles west of downtown Greensburg in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
Our purpose is the study, preservation and sharing of the records of the settlements of Westmoreland County. Our interest is not just the political and military history of the area; it encompasses the lives of the families who made Westmoreland County their home.
New data is continually being added to our files. We are constantly in search of new volunteers and encourage people of all ages to assist in our mission to preserve the heritage of Old Westmoreland County for tomorrow’s generation. We own two buildings of great historic value: a one-room, red brick schoolhouse (Harrold Schoolhouse #8 of the old Sewickley Settlement) built in 1881, and the Old Zion Lutheran church built in 1884. The property on which these two buildings are located is part of the original 158-acre tract of land called “Good Purpose.” Early settlers pre-empted this tract for the specific use of church and school. We are working to preserve these historic buildings and make them available for museum, classroom, and community use.
Members of the Board
Tom Harrold Nick Kayhart
President Vice President
Missy Greenberg Becky Plischke
Janet L. Kayhart